The goal of a presentation is to transmit a message which will be engraved in the minds of the audience. Presentation is an integral part of interview, business and education. For a successful career, one needs to develop the ability to make effective and impressive presentation. The purpose of a presentation involves convincing people to take action, collaborate to solve problem or to take decision.
Steps for Effective Presentation:
- While preparing a presentation one should keep in mind that the main focus is the audience. Through the presentation, the presenter has to make the audience feel that the idea conveyed is going to be beneficial.
- The opening of a presentation is very important. A presentation may begin with an anecdote, a quotation or even a hard hitting statement. A presenter should be confidently opening the presentation as it is within ten minutes of a presentation that the audience decides whether they like the presentation or not.
- Use of stories and sharing personal experiences to stress or support the message of the presentation is desired. This generates interest among the audience and gets them involved. The audience should feel that they have got an idea that is worth implementing.
- Humour is an essential part of any presentation. Humour acts like a stress buster for both the presenter and the audience. The audience needs to mentally relax from time to time in order to be able to perceive the intended message of the presentation.
- Body language, gestures and postures convey a lot of messages. Hand gestures and movement is very important during a presentation. It is important to maintain eye contact with the audience.
- In a presentation, the voice also plays a very important role. Voice modulation is very important to get the desired message across to the audience.
- In a presentation the most important person is the presenter. Though there may be visual aids but these should not overshadow the person. However visual aid should be used as it helps in successful depiction of the message.
- In a presentation there should be some statements or quotations that will make the audience think even after the presentation is over.
- After the presentation is over the presenter should invite questions from the audience.
Hence, it is imperative to rehearse and practice well for an effective presentation