Having sound/quality customer service skills is necessary, when you are running a business – especially a service oriented business. Ultimately the success and reputation of your business is completely dependant on the happiness and satisfaction of customers. If they are not happy with your products, if they nurse innumerable grievances towards your service, then your business profits will start to subside.
So having excellent customer service skills is absolutely necessary. In this essay we will share a few tips on how to augment your customer service skills effectively. Often for this reason many reputed firms and companies separately have a customer service department who handle customer requests, queries and grievances. They become the face or representatives of the company to the customers. Based on how efficient your customer service is, your customer will mark you customer friendly or unfriendly. In this essay we will share a few tips how to improve your customer service skills.
- Develop Your Listening Skills : This is one of the primary skill for being a good customer service executive. One of the primary responsibility of the customer relations executive is to interact with the customers, understand and address their queries and grievances. You should learn to be a patient listener, and lend your ears to what the customers have to say. Unless the customer is being particularly rude, abusive or not showing common courtesy, disrespecting personal boundaries, etc. listen patiently and calmly ( try to be even more calm and composed if the customer appears agitated). Show that you are here to solve their problems.
- Learn how to interpret non verbal signs/body language : A customer services representative is basically a people’s person. The more adroitly and tactfully you can handle customers, the more efficient and customer service representative you are. To be a successful people’s person, you need to understand verbal as well as non verbal behaviour. Non verbal behaviour is more subtle, and you have to be more observant and perceptive.
- Learn how to be more adaptable : Every customer is different, culture wise, temperament wise. As mentioned before, a customer representative, is essentially a people’s person and have to handle every type of customer with tact. There will be customers who will come across as unreasonable, unyielding and stubborn. There will be customers who appear immature and even uncouth. There may be clients who are under stress or suffering a bad case of nerves, etc. You have to keep your calm, and help them articulate their issues, without losing your temper.
- Knowledge About The Product : Most of the time, the customer representative is expected to face customer criticisms and reservations about a particular product, you should have a basic knowledge about the product they are inquiring about. However if the conversation becomes too technical or detailed you should know where to refer them for more in depth knowledge.
- Thick Skin : You have to keep calm and carry on. A good customer service executive, has to have patient, forbearance and a thick skin. You should train yourself to be impersonal and not to take everything to heart. Often the customer may not be in his best behaviour, might behave in a rude, self righteous manner. In these cases you have to remember that none of this is personal. Deal with difficult customers with patience and calm demeanour. However if they start being uncouth, refer them to your manager.
- Be Attentive and Empathic : Every customer is looking for a sympathetic and understanding customer representative who will lend a patient ear to their problems, and offer useful solutions. Don’t dismiss the problems/perspectives of an aggrieved or inquisitive customer. The reputation of your company is in your hands, and it is through you, that good customer relations will be established. Being sympathetic and attentive to a customer make them feel special and a satisfied customer will rate you as a customer friendly company.
- Honesty : Be upfront about extra prices, and what the customer can actually expect from the products or services. Don’t exaggerate , and don’t conceal, this will help you win consumer trust.