Interview is a process by which a candidate’s suitability for a post is judged by the employer. The employer fixes the time and place. To save time, most organizations hold walk-in-interviews. The employer announces the place and time and all the interested candidates appear for the same directly.
The candidate has to know how to give the best performance. For this, the candidate has to perform at three stages:
1) Before interview (physical, intellectual and psychological preparation)
2) Actual interview (how to face various types of questions and situations)
3) After the interview
One should start preparing oneself from the moment one decides to apply for jobs. Certain steps must be followed before the interview. They are listed below:
1) Build positive mind-set
2) Meet successful candidates
3) Build up confidence by appearing at mock interview sessions
4) Study the resume well
5) Find out information about the company
7) General knowledge should be brushed up
8) Interview location should be found out
9) Formal attire should be kept ready
11) Keep documents organized
“If one is well prepared, the interview is half won.”
The candidate must make himself/herself presentable for the interview as much as possible. One has to follow few steps during the interview. They are as follows:
- Take care of non- verbal communication as that would be judged first
- A cheerful greeting helps
- Wait for permission to sit down
- Sit in a relaxed manner but be alert
- Answer to the point briefly
- Get the questions clarified
- Control temper
- Remain positive
- One’s wish to grow with the organization should be reflectedin the answer
- Be ready to discuss about salary
- Keep questions ready to ask at the end of interview
- Gracefully exit from the interview room
After The Interview
There may be a follow up after the interview. A job interview can be a learning process. It helps to reconstruct mentally and evaluate one self. This helps in better performance next time.
ROLE OF THE INTERVIEWER
The interviewer also needs to prepare for conducting the interview session. The following tips should be kept in mind while conducting an interview:
- Applicants should be shortlisted and screened depending on their suitability.
- Interview call should be in time and necessary instructions should be handed out.
- Interview room must have a pleasant environment so that exchange of information is easier.
- Phone calls or visitors must not be entertained during the process.
- Make a list of questions including subject questions and questions in general. Pre-planning of questions can help the interviewer find out the deserving candidate.
Thus an Interview is important for both an interviewer and interviewee. An interviewer should keep in mind that he is representing his organisation. An interviewee must speak well so as to impress the interviewer and create a niche for himself.